Thursday, March 31, 2011

what (was/am) i thinking?

it is ALL KATIES FAULT that im actually considering this.

i ran three and a half miles last night. (to be fair, i only actually ran 25 minutes of it.) it took me 47 minutes. (364 calories) and i am SO SORE ALL OVER MY WHOLE BODY TODAY. my neck hurts, my shoulders, my bicepts, my abs, my quads, even the bottoms of my feet ache (besides the blisters that i get EVERY TIME I RUN.)

before i commit, i need to run 5 miles, and i need to buy new socks. and maybe new shoes. you know, for the blisters. if i can get that far in the training plan, then i think i could do it. s l o w l y. but still, i could do it. (as in 12 minute mile slowly. as in, jason will finish, then come back and ill make him run the end with me again slowly. ;) just kidding. kind of.)

so, that might be a new goal to keep me on track through the summer. it also takes the focus off my number (which is not what i want it to be yet. ger.) on that note i guess, i am disappointed that i did not meet my goal in december, and its maybe a little more disappointing that i am not going to meet my birthday goal. i have 17 pounds to loose, and just under 4 weeks to do it. thats more than 4 pounds per week, and thats just too much. i need to be building muscle. maybe running will help with that. it is a weight bearing exercise, and i am sore today. (did i mention that already? because i am REALLY SORE for the first time in a long time.) so, i dont know. i have a lot of questions and need to make a few quick decisions.

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry! The soreness will go away as your body adjusts to running! I understand if you don't want to do it, but I believe you could! And don't worry I will be really slow too! All the stuff I read was saying if you could run for 30 min you could train! Let's just see how this month goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was looking up training plans I came across this quote-
    "Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

    - George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

    I thought it was good. Maybe it can help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you don't have an iPhone but Couch to 10K is a GREAT app and we were doing pretty well in it until I got pregnant! It can be stuck on an iPod too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look great sarah and are an inspiration!

    you can do a half marathon. you should look into doing run/walk intervals. it will help you keep pace better and give you more energy. you can run 8 minutes walk 1 minute or whatever type of interval you choose. just google jeff galloway and there will be info on the run/walk training.

    yes get new shoes... if you are putting in that many miles you need a good pair of shoes and try non cotton socks. if you go to shu's idaho running company they will fit your for shoes, let you try them in store, and then give you 30 days to run on them and if they don't work you can return them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks katie. i think ill know in a couple weeks if im really up for it or not. i loaded up on the ibuprofen after my run last night and this morning im feeling better. we are on for a 10k at least. :) (and jasons thinking about getting your parents in too! think they could be convinced?)

    jenn, i think i will load up the ipod with some new music so that i am prepared for outdoors and bad tv days. that will help a lot.

    kristen, thank you! its been a hard hard month. so running seems like a good change of focus. my battle is how much money i am willing to spend on a possibly fleeting hobby. music, socks, shoes, running pants (because my favorites are too big!) all add up. but, even if im not running a lot, those things will make exercise in general more comfortable. i will definitely check out shu's though. it would be great to get a shoe that is the right fit.

    ReplyDelete